A variety of programming has been planned to add to the experience of "Speed: The Art of the Performance Automobile" at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts
In the gallery
* "Speed Audio Stops," stories about the cars, accessed by cellphone or iPods at the UMFA front desk, or the UMFA's website.
* Family gallery guide
* Hands-on experiences, including an art activity, touch station and book nook.
Seminars and classes
* "SPEED! Artistic Auto Class for Kids," hands-on art projects inspired by the exhibit, $140. Session 1, 12:45-4 p.m. July 2-6; Session 2, 9 a.m.-12:15 p.m. July 17-20.
* A seminar for adult car collectors, dealing with restoration, is in the works; watch the website http://umfa.utah.edu/ for details.
These are free in the UMFA auditorium.
* "No Limits," 6 p.m. June 27. Artist Janet Biggs talks about her video piece "Vanishing Point," filmed on the Bonneville Salt Flats with motorcycle speed record holder Leslie Porterfield. The video can be seen at the UMFA during the "Speed" exhibit.
* "Speed: The Art of the Performance Automobile," 1 p.m. July 15. Guest curator Ken Gross discusses the histories and inner workings of the 19 vehicles in the exhibit.
* "Bonneville: The Fastest Place on Earth," 1 p.m. Aug. 19.| "Landspeed Louise" Ann Noeth, automotive historian and writer, tells stories about the people who have raced to become land speed record holders. She'll be sure to discuss Utahn Ab Jenkins and his Mormon Meteor III.
* "Rebuilding the Mormon Meteor III," 1 p.m. Sept. 16. Fabricator Roger Brasier talks about restoring the Mormon Meteor III, including the engine work.
Automobile-related movies, shown free in the UMFA auditorium.
* "Le Mans" (1971, not rated), 7 p.m. June 20. Steve McQueen film about an American driver at the 24-hour Le Mans Grand Prix, wrestling with guilt over an accident that cost a friend's life.
* "Boys of Bonneville: Racing on a Ribbon of Salt" (2011), 7 p.m. July 18. Documentary about record-breaking racer Ab Jenkins, and his Mormon Meteor III car.
* "The Race" (2009, not rated), 3 p.m. July 28. Film set in Northern Ireland about an 11-year-old girl's quest to build and race a go-cart for the championship.
* "Racing Dreams" (2009, rated PG), 7 p.m. Aug. 22. Documentary about top competitors in the World Karting Association's National Pavement Series.
* "Senna" (2010, rated PG-13), 7 p.m. Sept. 5. Documentary, using only archival footage, about Brazilian Formula One racer Ayrton Senna.