The Great Salt Lake Bird Festival is flying high, with birds of a feather flocking together for bird-watching tips and trips.
Field trips start Thursday, May 17, and continue through Monday, May 21, taking folks everywhere from Farmington Bay to Rockport Reservoir, where they can spot birds by foot, bicycle, car, horseback or canoe. Many field trips are sold out, but a few spots are still available, with tickets ranging from $5 to $90.
Birding workshops and exhibits nest at the Davis County Legacy Center today, May 18, and Saturday, May 19. Admission is free.
Friday, May 18
- Noon-7 p.m., student art display and vendor booths open
- 4-5 p.m., "Birding by Ear" workshop with keynote speaker Greg Miller
- 5-6 p.m., "Quackers & Cheese" reception, and book signing with Greg Miller and Bill Fenimore
- 5:45-6 p.m., student art contest awards presentation
- 6-7 p.m., "Family Owl Night," with the Ogden Nature Center staff
Saturday, May 19
- 8-9 a.m., "Birding for Families" workshop with Bill Fenimore (related field trip 9 a.m.-noon, $25)
- 9-10 a.m., "Ferruginous Hawks" and "Great Salt Lake Birds of a Feather Feast Together" workshops
- 10 a.m.-6 p.m., art displays and vendor booths open
- 10 a.m.-4 p.m., family and youth activities
- 10-11 a.m., "Mammals of Antelope Island," "Up Close With Golden Eagles," "Butterflies for Beginners" (related field trip sold out), and "Photographs with Impact" workshops
- 10 a.m.-noon, birdhouse building with Home Depot
- 11 a.m.-noon, "Owls of Utah," "Can We Save Our Marshes? Invasive Phragmites Control Effort," and "Desert Herps of Utah" workshops
- 11 a.m.-2 p.m., live birds with Utah's Hogle Zoo
- Noon-1 p.m., live bird flight program with Tracy Aviary, also "Utah's Stiff-tailed duck, the Ruddy Duck," "Reptiles Found Along the Wasatch Front," and "Birds on the Edge: A Look at Threatened and Endangered Birds in Utah" workshops
- 1-2 p.m., "How To's & 10 Tips for Great Wildlife Photography," "I'm a Kid and I'm a Birder," and "Falcon Identification" workshops
- 2-3 p.m., "Our National Symbol -- The American Bald Eagle," "When Birds of a Feather MURDER Together," and "Hawks, Falcons, and Owls" workshops
- 3-4 p.m., live bird flight program; "Raptor Rapture," "Urban Bird Treaty" and "Who are Utah's Raptors?" workshops
- 4-5 p.m., "Great Salt Lake: A Study of Residents' Perspectives and Concerns" and "Where in the World is Your Bird? eBird 101" workshops
- 6 p.m., keynote address and dinner with Greg Miller, $27; reservation deadline passed, limited ticket availability