Sunday , March 19, 2017 - 12:59 PM
This is a weekly round-up of updates on ongoing court hearings in Weber and Davis counties for March 13-17, 2017.
MICHAEL SCOTT ENNIS
Charges: One count of homicide by assault with a dangerous weapon, a third-degree felony.
A Sunset man was sentenced Friday, March 17, to one to 10 years in Utah State Prison for criminal homicide by assault, a third-degree felony.
Michael Scott Ennis, who was originally charged with murder, accepted a plea deal in February in connection with a September 2015 homicide.
Ennis was accused in connection with the stabbing death of 31-year-old Tyler Eastabrook, who had a child with the same woman as Ennis.
At a hearing Thursday, Feb. 2, Ennis pleaded guilty to an amended charge of third-degree homicide by assault with a dangerous weapon, Deputy Davis County Attorney Rick Westmoreland said in an email.
The sentence will run concurrently with an existing probation violation sentence, and Ennis will get credit for 545 days of time already served.
ERIC MARCUS ISAAC LARSEN
Charges: One count of object rape, a first-degree felony; one count of forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony; and one count of attempted forcible sexual abuse, a third-degree felony.
A Davis County man accused of sexually abusing two women during a 2016 Halloween party appeared Wednesday, March 15, in 2nd District Court in Farmington for a brief hearing.
According to court documents, Eric Marcus Isaac Larsen was one of at least 11 individuals at a Halloween party in a cabin in Davis County and fell asleep with four others on the same couch.
A woman woke to Larsen allegedly touching her and fondling her genitals. She realized Larsen was not her husband and kicked him, stopping the touching for a brief time, court documents say.
Larsen allegedly resumed touching her and, at the same, the first victim heard a second woman on the couch yell, “Stop it.” He touched the second victim’s chest and undid her bra, according to court documents.
Court documents say the first victim’s husband confronted Larsen, who initially denied anything happened, but later said he thought he was touching his own wife.
Larsen is out of Davis County Jail on a $20,000 bail. Another hearing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 5.
Charges: One count of aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony; one count of aggravated burglary, a first-degree felony; one count of a possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a second-degree felony; and one count of aggravated assault, a third-degree felony.
The pretrial conference for a Roy man accused of allegedly holding his neighbors hostage at gunpoint in April 2016 has been rescheduled again.
Police say Alvin Salima went into a rage against his neighbors and held them against their will at gunpoint because he believed they messed with his things and drugged his infant child.
Salima retained new counsel earlier this month, and his defense attorney Ed Brass requested the pretrial conference be pushed back.
The conference is now scheduled for 9 a.m. Wednesday, March 29.
DON HENRY JOHNSON
Charges: Four counts of distribution of a controlled substance, second-degree felonies.
The pretrial conference for a former Ogden police officer accused of distributing illegal drugs while working as a narcotics agent has been rescheduled.
Don Henry Johnson’s attorney Cara Tangaro requested the conference be continued Thursday, March 15, in 2nd District Court in Ogden.
When the Ogden Police Department began to suspect Johnson might be involved in criminal activities, the Layton Police Department was asked to investigate, according to previous reporting. Charges were filed against Johnson on Jan. 23, 2015.
Shortly after charges were filed, Johnson resigned from the Ogden Police Department. Since then, several drug cases Johnson was working on were dismissed due to his lost credibility.
Before Thursday’s rescheduling, Johnson’s pretrial conference has been moved multiple times, most recently in January because Tangaro said she needed more time to go over possible “exculpatory evidence” she had received.
Johnson’s new pretrial conference is scheduled for 9 a.m. Wednesday, April 5.
CHRISTOPHER LEE MONSON
Charges: One count of rape, a first-degree felony; two counts of forcible sodomy, first-degree felonies; and one count of attempted aggravated kidnapping, a second-degree felony.
A 7-day jury trial has been scheduled for a Layton man accused of rape.
Christopher Lee Monson appeared in 2nd District Court on Thursday, March 16, for a final pretrial conference. Judge Thomas Kay scheduled the jury trial for April 10-12, 14 and 17-19.
Monson is accused of luring a woman he knew to his home, holding her against her will and forcing her to have sex with him on Oct. 1, 2015, at his Layton home. He entered not-guilty pleas to all four charges in February 2016.
He is being held at the Davis County Jail in lieu of a $100,000 bail.
LUIS ANGEL MARTINEZ
Charges: One count of child kidnapping, a first-degree felony; and one count of burglary, a third-degree felony.
The attorney for a 20-year-old man charged in connection with a 2015 Clinton home invasion has filed a motion to withdraw his client’s guilty plea.
Luis Angel Martinez pleaded guilty to one count of child kidnapping, a first-degree felony; and one count of burglary, a third-degree felony, on Jan. 12 and was scheduled to be sentenced March 9.
However, on March 7, his attorney, Carlyle Harris, filed a motion in 2nd District Court to withdraw the guilty plea, arguing the court failed to ensure Martinez fully understood his rights when he entered it.
A hearing for the withdrawal motion is scheduled for 2 p.m. Thursday, April 6, in Farmington’s 2nd District Court.
Charges: One count of unlawful sexual conduct with a 16- or 17-year-old, a third-degree felony; and one count of false or inconsistent material statements, a second-degree felony.
An Ogden woman accused of allegedly having sex with a teenager was scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing Thursday.
A 16-year-old boy reported July 6, 2016, that Gregoria Flores had sex with him, according to a probable cause statement filed with the court.
During the investigation, Flores filed a stalking injunction against the victim. She is accused of lying about her age and the victim’s age in paperwork she submitted, court record says.
In the documents Flores filed, she said she had sexual intercourse with the 16-year-old on more than one occasion, according to the probable cause statement.
At a Feb. 16 court hearing, Flores was ordered to have no contact with the teen.
Another hearing was scheduled for Thursday, March 16, but information about what happened at the hearing was not available through court records as of Sunday, March 19.
DEVIN BROCK SMITH
Charges: One count of murder, a first-degree felony; one count of possession of a firearm by a restricted person, a second-degree felony; and one count of obstructing justice, a second-degree felony.
A jury trial has been scheduled for an Ogden man accused of murder.
Devin Brock Smith appeared in Ogden’s 2nd District Court on Friday, March 17, and Judge Mark Decaria scheduled an 8-day jury trial for the case.
Smith is accused of shooting Miguel Angels Rios on May 6 in the area of the 500 block of 31st Street. Rios died in the early morning hours of May 7 from multiple gunshot wounds, police said.
A pretrial conference is scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday, July 10, and Smith’s jury trial is scheduled for Sept. 18, 20-22, 25 and 27-29.
Sign up for e-mail news updates.